Hello, craft enthusiasts and resin fans! Are you ready to deck the halls (and your dining room table) with a dazzling DIY project? Let’s create a festive, one-of-a-kind resin Christmas serving tray that will make your holiday gatherings even more special. This is the perfect way to show off your creativity and add a personal touch to your Christmas decor.
Kaelee Rupell of Kaelee’s Kustoms is back with another fabulous resin craft Christmas tutorial. Today she is showing us how to make a DIY Resin Christmas serving tray that will be perfect for passing the hot cocoa this holiday season! She uses Artist Resin, holiday sprinkles, and a fabulous DTF Transfer for her creations. They are simple to make so you will be able to whip up a whole bunch if you want to. Keep them for yourself, make them as gifts, or offer them for sale in your shop.
Whatever you decide to do with these pretty serving trays, we hope you love making them as much as we do!
DIY Resin Christmas Serving Tray
Serving trays are a trend that’s been steadily gaining momentum in the world of home decor and entertaining. Even if they aren’t actually used for serving, they look adorable sitting on a counter or table top. From rustic farmhouse brunches to elegant Christmas dinners, a well-chosen serving tray can tie the theme together and make a statement.
But they offer functionality also! The convenience and ease offered by serving trays in the home are clear. Whether it’s carrying a round of drinks to the patio, serving breakfast in bed (wish that were a thing in my house, lol), or simply organizing your coffee table, a serving tray is a versatile tool that combines functionality with style.
So why not join the trend and add a personal touch? Imagine creating your own custom serving tray – choosing the colors, adding personal details, and crafting it with love. Not only will you have a unique piece of decor, but you’ll also experience the joy of creating something beautiful with your own hands.
Serving Tray Design Variations
As with all resin art, there are about a million different ways that you can customize your holiday serving trays. In the video below, Kaelee shows us how to make an adorable hot cocoa tray. You can follow along with her and make a similar design. Or you can take your project in a totally different direction!
Kaelee painted her tray white to start. She loves the way the white makes her decal pop. But you can use any base color that you love. Or go with a more natural look by using a pretty stain for your tray.
You can also use this method on any size tray. From trinket dish to serving dish, the process will still be the same. You could also use a different type of bases. Wooden boxes, cutting boards, etc…they would all look adorable with a holiday DTF transfer and some glittery accents.
And finally, these pretty serving trays aren’t just for the Christmas season! You can make them for any holiday or season. Including everyday! Use some pretty leaves for fall, bees for summer, or lovely flowers for spring. There are so many fun ways to customize your DIY serving trays!
DIY Resin Serving Trays Make Great Gifts!
The holiday season is upon us, and with it comes the age-old question: What gifts can I give to make my loved ones feel special?
We can scour the stores, or we can go another route – make them ourselves. There’s something truly magical about creating a gift with your own two hands. It’s not just a present – it’s a piece of you! And what better way to spread some holiday cheer than with a custom Christmas serving tray?
Creating a custom Christmas serving tray isn’t just about the end product; it’s about the joy of crafting, the satisfaction of making something from scratch, and the love that goes into each detail. From selecting the perfect colors to match the festive season, to adding personal touches like a family name or a favorite holiday quote, every step of the process is a labor of love.
And let’s not forget about the resin! As resin artists, we all know the magic that this versatile material brings to any project. Its glossy finish adds a touch of elegance to your tray, while its durability ensures that your gift will be appreciated for many Christmases to come.
If you are looking for more fabulous resin gift ideas, check out our post DIY Christmas Door Hanger and How to Make Alcohol Ink Christmas Ornaments. Both projects are beautiful and customizable, just like this one!
DIY Resin Christmas Serving Tray
- Wooden serving tray
- Pure White Pop of Color Shock Paint
- Sand paper
- Paint brush
- Medium Viscosity Artist Resin
- Sterling Snow glitter
- Holiday sprinkles
- Counter Culture DIY Dispersion Colors optional
- Protective gloves
- Silicone mat
- Filter mask
- Mixing cups
- Mixing sticks
- Silicone squeegee brush
- Heat gun
- Holiday UV DTF Transfer
- Prep your wooden tray by sanding it and removing any debris. Then stain or paint your tray however you like. For a white base like Kaelee's the Pure White Shock Paint will work beautifully. Allow your paint to dry.
- Next, mix up a 100 or 200 ml batch of Medium Viscosity Artist Resin according to the package instructions. Measure equal of Parts A and B. Then pour part B into part A and mix well for 3-5 minutes. Be sure to scrape the sides and bottom of your cup as you go, as well as your mixing stick. This ensures that all of your epoxy will be well incorporated.
- Then add in your Sterling Snow and mix well again.
- Next pour the combined resin into your serving tray. Move the tray to move the resin around it. Then use the squeegee brush to get the resin into the corners. As the tray sits, the resin with self level.
- Now use a heat gun to finish moving the resin and get rid of the brush strokes. Then set it aside to cure overnight.
- Remove the backing on your DTF and apply it to your cured tray.
- Mix up another 100 ml batch of epoxy. Pour it into your tray and use the silicone brush to move it around. Use the heat gun to pop any bubbles.
- Next, use tweezers to place your holiday sprinkles where you want them.
- Optional: If you want to, you can add colorful swirls to your epoxy. Add a tiny bit of a matching Dispersion Color to a small amount of combined resin. Then add it to your tray and use a stick to make swirls.
- Allow the resin to cure. Then add a final layer of combined Medium Viscosity so that your tray ends up with a smooth even surface.
The Finishing Touches
So why not give it a shot? This holiday season, take a break from the hustle and bustle of shopping malls. Instead, immerse yourself in the joy of creating. Make a custom Christmas serving tray that’s not just a gift, but a heartfelt expression of your love.
Remember, the best gifts come from the heart – and nothing says ‘from the heart’ like a handmade gift. So let’s break out our epoxy and glitter, put on our crafting hats, and start spreading some holiday cheer!
Isn’t it amazing how a little creativity and some festive spirit can turn a simple serving tray into a Christmas masterpiece? We hope you enjoy making this project as much as we did. Don’t forget to share your creations with us—we’d love to see your take on this DIY Resin Christmas Serving Tray!
A big thanks to Kaelee for sharing her time and talent with us again! If you want to see what Kaelee is up to and see more of her beautiful creations you can find her on Facebook and TikTok. You can also join her VIP Facebook group and head to her Etsy Shop.
Happy crafting, and warmest wishes for the holiday season!
Pop of Color Shock Paints are sold exclusively at Counter Culture DIY. So now you have even more reasons to stop by!
You can find more awesome video tutorials like this one on our YouTube channel!
Be sure to follow us on Pinterest so you can stay on top of everything that’s new and never miss a blog post!
If you want more inspiration and information we have a Facebook group for that. Join us in Counter Culture DIY Artist Support where we, and other artists, offer ideas, answer questions, and support each other!
Do you have an art project using any of our products that you want to share? Send it to us at [email protected], and we can feature them here!