When making your DIY tumblers, the sky’s the limit! You’ve probably seen many wood-inspired cups on Instagram and wonder how they are made. Well, you’ve come to the right place. Today, we’re going to talk about how to make wood grain tumbler with CCDIY Artist Resin.
Here’s what you need:
- Alcohol inks and paintbrush
- White spray paint
- Clear spray sealer
- Counter Culture DIY Quick Coat
- Counter Culture DIY Artist Resin
- Printable vinyl – Waterslide etc.
- Electrical tape
- Prime your tumbler by lightly sanding it so that your paint will have some texture to adhere to.
- Wash your tumbler with soap and water, then let it dry.
- Tape off the lower and upper rim of the tumbler using electrical tape. (optional)
- Spray paint the tumbler with white paint.
- Choose 2 or 3 “wood colored” alcohol inks, squirt a line of ink down the tumbler. Using a bristle brush, move your inks lengthwise to cover the entire tumbler. You can dip your brush and add a tiny bit of alcohol to get your colors moving if they get too dry. You’ll see the “wood grain” start to appear as you brush using your different ink colors. Use your imagination!
- Let the inks dry. Once dry, use a clear spray to preserve the design you’ve created.
- Next use Counter Culture DIY Quick Coat to seal it. Most spray paint have silicone in them, and silicone can repel your epoxy! Quick Coat is a VOC free clear, non-yellowing sealer, and will seal your project before the resin application and prevent fisheyes. For a full tutorial on how to use this product, click here.
- It’s time to coat your tumbler with Counter Culture DIY Artist Resin. For a full tutorial on how to use this product, click here.
- Decorate with all your pretties! If you use a waterslide, make sure to let it dry for a few hours so that all the water under the slide has evaporated.
- Apply a thin coat of Quick Coat.
- Apply a final coat of Artist Resin.
- After applying the resin, make sure to cover your work.
The next day, you will have a wood grain tumbler with a glass-like finish! Use your cup to sip your favorite hot or cold drink. Enjoy!