We have a fabulous project for you today that is perfect for honoring the mothers and grandmothers in your life! Resin artist Crystal of Majical Kreations is showing us how to make her beautiful Mother’s Day Infinity Birthstone Tumbler. This cup is so pretty and oh so special!
Few things in life are more precious to a mother than her children. A good night of sleep or an uninterrupted shower can be a close second but those aren’t easy to put on a tumbler! Crystal came up with this wonderful Mother’s Day Infinity Birthstone Tumbler as a gift for her own mom and she is generously sharing her design with all of us. Personalized tumblers are always special but this cup takes personalization to the next level. Incorporating the infinity symbol and the birthstones of a mother’s babes makes a gift that is sure to be treasured! For her mom’s cup, Krystal added a second side with a decal and her grandchildren’s birthstones that says “Grammy” (because that’s their special name for her). It doesn’t get much sweeter than that!
Mother’s Day Infinity Birthstone Tumbler
Mother’s are truly super heroes. Their job starts the second that their feet hit the ground in the morning and doesn’t stop until their heads hit the pillow at night. Some days are full of fabulous memories while others are downright hard. And, most days fall somewhere in between. We know that this last year has been especially challenging as we all learned to navigate new parenting challenges along with the ones that normally occur. Every Mother’s Day is special but this one seems especially important. Cheers to all of the moms out there who are crushing it every day in every way!
And let’s not forget the grandmas! They are an extra special kind of VIP. Whether they live near by or states away, Grandmas give a special kind of love to their grandkids and much needed support to their children. We raise our glasses to all of you fabulous grandmas out there too!
We are always looking for ways to honor the mothers in our lives. And we love exploring new tumbler designs. Crystal combines both of those things with this beautiful cup! You can make one of these beauties for the moms you love or offer them for sale in your shop. Creating beautiful and special Mother’s Day gifts is always a win in our book!
The tumbler that Crystal made is absolutely beautiful! She gave us all the steps we need to be able to make one just like hers. Including how to make the infinity decal with the name embedded (Thank you Crystal, some of us really struggle with that!). You can make your tumbler using the same base glitter color that Crystal does or you can choose a different shade that you know the mom you’re creating for will love. If you offer this design to your customers, each one will be at least a little bit different. As Crystal points out, the birthstone colors will differ with each customer. The name may change too, especially for grandma cups. There are so many amazing Gagas, Gammies, Grammys, Nanas, and Mimis out there! You could do one decal or, like Crystal did, use two: one that says Mom with her children’s stones and the other with the grandma name and grandchildren stones. However you decide to customize this design, it’s sure to be a big hit!
Mother's Day Infinity Birthstone Tumbler
- Stainless Steel Tumbler Crystal uses 20oz modern curve tumbler from Makerflo
- Sand paper
- Protective gloves
- Rustoleum spray paint Flat White
- Counter Culture DIY Artist Resin
- Glitter One base color and the birthstone colors you need
- Cricut metallic silver adhesive vinyl
- Small paint brush
- Mod Podge
- Mixing cups
- Mixing sticks
- Start by prepping your double wall stainless steel tumbler. Sand the outside to remove the protective coating. Then, wash outside of prepped tumbler with soap and water and let it fully dry.
- Next, spray paint your cup with the flat white spray paint to give it a base coat.
- Apply your base glitter using the epoxy method. Mix 5 ml total of parts A and B of the Artist Resin. Apply a thin layer of epoxy over the outside of tumbler then sprinkle your base color of glitter over entire cup. Allow the cup to dry for at least 4 hours before moving on to the next step.
- Next, put the cup on cup turner and apply 20 ml total of parts A and B of the Artist Resin over the entire cup and spin tumbler for 8 hours.
- While the epoxy is curing create your decal. Start by finding and infinity symbol clipart to use. Upload that into your design studio and then use the text feature to type the name in your desired font. Slice a portion of one infinity loop from the uploaded image and insert the name into the sliced space. Adjust the size/width to make it fit the width of the loop. Finally, attach and weld the name to the infinity loop to make one continuous image. Crystal used the Samantha font from DaFont.
- Now, cut your decal at desired size for your tumbler. Crystal used Cricut metallic silver adhesive vinyl.
- Once epoxy is dry, apply decal where desired.
- Take the handle of a small paint brush and dip it into the Mod Podge. Use this to create the dot for birthstones inside one of the infinity loops. Then use the glitter that matches the birthstone color you need . Do one dot at a time to keep your glitters from blending. The number of birthstones you need will vary by customer. Let the dots dry for at least 8 hours.
- Next, put the cup on a turner and apply a layer of epoxy. You will need about 20ml total of parts A and B of the Artist Resin. Let the cup spin for 8 hours or until fully dry.
- Once dry, clean your cup rim/edge with a razor knife and wash the inside and outside with soap and water. Finally, let the cup dry and then polish it with a lint free cloth.
The Wrap Up…
We just can’t get over this cup! It is such a beautiful and special design. Crystal really nailed it with this one and we hope you love it as much as we do. If you want to check out more of Crystal’s creations (and you should!) you can find her on Facebook, Instagram, and in her Majical Kreations Etsy shop. Also, if you need help remembering all the birthstones, we have you covered. We’ve added a birthstone guide below so you can see which colors you will need to grab. We hope you have fun with this design and we know that the moms who receive them will instantly be in love!
Be sure to follow us on Pinterest so you can stay on top of everything that’s new and never miss a blog post!
If you want more inspiration and information we have a Facebook group for that. Join us in Counter Culture DIY Artist Support where we, and other artists, offer ideas, answer questions, and support each other!
Do you have an art project using any of our products that you want to share? Send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we can feature them here!