I’m such a beach bummer…me lying on the sand, swimming for hours, reading my favourite book, munching light snacks while sipping lemon juice in my glitter tumbler! That’s my kind of weekend goal- so chill and gets me charged for the next days.
Talking about glitter tumbler, I did an awesome beach-inspired cup a few months back. I want to make one more and this time, I will show you how to do it. Here are the things that you need:
- a tumbler (get yours online or at Wal-Mart)
- spray paint
- tumbler spinner ( you can make your own or buy an automatic spinner online)
- Mod Podge
- Counter Culture DIY Resin
- Counter Culture DIY Glitter (three to four different colors)
- spray sealer
Let’s start doing our project.
- Get your tumbler ready. Wash it with warm water and mild soap. Wipe the surface with tissue paper dabbed with alcohol.
- Add strips of double sided tape to cover the entire surface. Use an art knife to cut the extra-strips.
- Check for any trapped air inside the tape. Use art knife to make a slit on the bubbles to remove them.
- Trim off excess tape at the bottom.
- Remove backing from the first tape strips to reveal the adhesive. Try not to touch the sticky part. Take out three strips in different spots.
- It’s time to sprinkle glitter. Put something underneath to catch the excess glitter. Sprinkle glitter on the first strips. Use your hand to press the glitter into the tape to secure it completely.
- To avoid mixing colors, take all excess glitters and put them back to the container.
- Repeat steps 5 and six for additional glitter stripe color.
- Once all strips are covered with glitters, use spray sealer to keep them in place. Sealing will avoid mixing up glitters when you start resining. Let the sealer dry completely.
- Mix Part A and B of Counter Culture DIY Resin with 1:1 ratio. Slowly stir epoxy to avoid bubbles. Scrape sides and bottom occasionally.
- Place tumbler on an automatic spinner. Put something under the tumbler to catch extra resin. Turn the spinner on the slowest speed.
- Slowly pour the resin on the tumbler. Using a gloved hand, guide the resin where it needs to be. Keep smoothing with your hand until the tumbler is fully coated. Make the coating uniform in thickness on all sides.
- Once done, let the tumbler spin slowly while curing for 4 hours. Carefully remove the tumbler from the spinner and let it cure for another 20 hours.
- Sand with medium grain sandpaper until smooth, then buff with fine grain sandpaper.
- Add a final layer of epoxy resin following steps 10-13.
Now you have an amazing cup ready to go on your next beach visit! Have fun with it!