Tumbler making is one of our favorite resin crafts. There are just so many amazing designs and techniques that you can use on a cup! Today we are learning how to make a waterfall ombre tumbler using the fabulous Pop of Color Shock Paints!
When it comes to making tumblers, we all know how important that base coat of color is. Depending on the design we are doing, it is either a focal point or an important back drop. Either way, the color and coverage need to be perfect! And that is where Pop of Color Shock Paints come in!
In the video below, Emily Brede of Rustic Passions Studio is showing us how to make a waterfall ombre tumbler. She uses one of the beautiful Pop of Color Paints as the base coat for her tumbler. And she also shows us how to use the paint for glitter application. No need for a second product to get glitter on your tumbler!
Gotta love a paint that does double duty! And the coverage is so good, you usually only need one coat. We know that conserving time and money is a big part of owning your own business. And, along with being really great to work with, these paints also help you save! So, grab your favorite Pop of Color Paint and CCDIY Glitters, and let’s get crafting!
How to Make a Waterfall Ombre Tumbler with Pop of Color Shock Paints
Emily says that Pop of Color is her favorite paint (we couldn’t agree more!). We don’t know if it’s the amazing coverage that she loves most. Or the vibrant colors that you can’t find in any other chalk paint. Or if it’s the smooth application and super quick dry time.
It could even be that it works fabulously on any type of surface or canvas. Pop of Color is much loved by resin and furniture artists alike! Maybe it’s a combination of all of those things. All we know is that we are proud and grateful that she, and so many other artists, trust their beautiful creations to our Shock Paints!
How to Apply Glitter using Pop of Color Paints
Our tumbler artists have been raving about these paints for a lot of reasons. But one of the most common is that it can be used as a base coat and a glitter application in the same step. Like we said, any quality product that can save time and resources is a huge win!
All you need to do is have your glitter on hand so it’s ready to use. Then apply your base coat of Pop of Color paint. Once your paint is on, immediately apply your glitter. The glitter will adhere right to the paint. You just need to move kind of quickly because these paints have a quick dry time.
Once your glitter is on, gently dab it into place. Then you are ready to move on to the rest of the tumbler process. This method is so quick and easy!
The Blue Grey Shock Paint that Emily uses is a gorgeous color. It is one of the most popular too. You can absolutely use the same paint and glitter colors that Emily used. Or you can choose your own favorite Pop of Color shade and a different glitter combo. It is totally up to you!
Once you have learned the waterfall ombre technique, you will be able to try a million different color combinations! Not to mention all the fun paint techniques you will be ready to try with these bold an beautiful paints!
How to Make a Waterfall Ombre Tumbler
- Start by lightly sanding your tumbler. Then wash it with gentle soap, inside and out. Allow it to dry completely before moving on to painting.
- Next, apply two coats of the Blue Grey Shock Paint to the tumbler. Since some of the paint will be exposed (uncovered by glitter or design) you want to make sure your coverage is flawless.
- Apply your glitter directly to the wet paint. Start by covering the bottom of the cup. Then hold it at a large angle and tap the glitter so that it covers in an ombre fade.
- Next, use your finger to tap the glitter down. Then let your paint dry completely.
- Now add a layer of Quick Coat to seal in your glitter. This will help the resin adhere to the tumbler evenly and thoroughly.
- Once the Quick Coat is dry, it is time to add your resin.
- Combine equal amounts of Parts A and B of the Artist Resin in the mixing cup according to the package instructions. Mix well, scraping the sides of the cup and your mixing stick as you go.
- Once the resin is combined, use a gloved finger to apply it to the tumbler. Smooth it into a nice even layer and then allow the resin to cure for around 12 hours.
- If you are using a decal, you would apply it now. Then seal it with Quick Coat before moving on to your next resin layer.
- Then repeat the resin application process a layer at a time until your tumbler is nice and smooth. Allow each layer of resin to cure before moving on to the next. For this tumbler, 2 coats will probably be all you need.
- After the final layer of resin, allow the tumbler to cure for at least 24-48 hours before using or packaging.
The Finishing Touches
And that’s it! This beautiful waterfall ombre tumbler is simple and fun to make. All you need is a fabulous chalk paint base and some matching glitters to get lovely results!
A big thanks to Emily for sharing her time and talents with us! If you loved learning from her and want to see more of what she has going on you can find her under Rustic Passion Studio on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. You can also check out her Etsy shop and all her other online happenings!
You can find more awesome video tutorials like this one on our YouTube channel!
Be sure to follow us on Pinterest so you can stay on top of everything that’s new and never miss a blog post!
If you want more inspiration and information we have a Facebook group for that. Join us in Counter Culture DIY Artist Support where we, and other artists, offer ideas, answer questions, and support each other!
Do you have an art project using any of our products that you want to share? Send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we can feature them here!