We are back with another fabulous Halloween tumbler tutorial for you! Chrissy from Sugar and Spice Glitter Co. is showing you how to make a glow in the dark Halloween tumbler that you’re going to love.
There is something about glow in the dark that just goes hand in hand with Halloween. The spooky effect of the mild fluorescent light is part creepy and part mysterious. Our brand ambassador Chrissy @sugarandspice.glitterco is back to share her amazing resin talents with you. Today she is showing us how to make a glow in the dark Halloween tumbler using the peek-a-boo technique. Chrissy has many amazing video tutorials on her YouTube channel so if you are looking for more inspiration be sure to check it out!
How to Make a Glow in the Dark Halloween Tumbler
This Halloween tumbler is super festive and so much fun to make. Chrissy always makes her amazing creations look easy! This time she gives us some tips and tricks that make this project lower on the difficulty scale even for those just starting out with resin. Did you know you that when using glitter you don’t always have to add it as its own layer? Chrissy shows us how you can mix it right into your first layer of epoxy. This is a simpler way to get the glitter effect. This works especially well for peek-a-boo projects like this one. Check out the video below for more helpful tips!
For this tumbler Chrissy uses Counter Culture DIY Fast Set Epoxy to help speed the process along and Counter Culture DIY Artist Resin for that gorgeous and durable shine. Our Fast Set epoxy is perfect for projects like this which require multiple layers. Fast Set lives up to it’s name. You don’t have to wait 24 hours between layers. This saves so much time and lets you see the satisfying results of your designs in a hurry. (Well, it’s still resin so the term “hurry” is relative here but you get the idea). When you use the Artist Resin as your final epoxy layer you will have a crystal clear finish that is a durable as they come!
If you haven’t tried any glow in the dark projects yet Halloween is the perfect opportunity to try one out! We have a few different glow powders that you can use depending on the shade of glow you are going for. In the light these powders are a cream color but if you want a different shade that’s no problem! Simply add pigment powder to your resin when you mix in the glow powder and you’ll achieve the color you’re looking for. In the video below you will see the combo of pigment, glow, and glitter that Chrissy uses to make her awesome tumbler!
Glow in the Dark Halloween Tumbler Supply List
- Tumbler of your choice
- Krylon fluorescent green spray paint
- Krylon Color Master flat black spray paint
- Counter Culture DIY Fast Set Epoxy
- Counter Culture DIY Artist Resin
- Fluorescent green pigment powder
- Fluorescent green glitter
- Glow in the dark powder
- Silver glitter
- Measuring and mixing cups
- Stir sticks
- Painter’s tape
- Vinyl cutting machine, green non-permanent adhesive vinyl, contact paper, weeding tool, tweezers
Step by Step Instructions
- Start by prepping your tumbler. Sand and then wash it with soap and water.
- Next, apply your base coat of the fluorescent green spray paint and allow it to dry.
- Now mix your Fast Set Epoxy following the instructions on the container, a 1:1 ratio. Mix well for 3 minutes while scraping the sides of your mixing cup and stir stick.
- Next, transfer your combined Fast Set Epoxy into a clean mixing cup, add your green glitter and mix well. Then add your pigment and glow in the dark powders and combine. When you watch the video you will see the amounts that Chrissy uses to achieve the right look.
- Apply your mixture to the entire outside of the tumbler and allow it to set.
- While your epoxy is curing use your cutting machine and green non-permanent adhesive vinyl to make the drips for the top of the cup and your design decal for the center of it. (Watch the video to see how to measure your tumbler and get the perfect length for your drips)
- Next, apply the drip strip to the top of the tumbler and the design decal to the center of the tumbler. (Again, watch the video to see how this is done)
- Use the painter’s tape around the lip of the cup to make sure there will be no gaps in the vinyl and to protect the inside of your tumbler from spray paint.
- Now spray the entire tumbler with the flat black paint and allow it to dry completely.
- Next, remove the tape and then use a weeding tool and tweezers to slowly and gently remove the decals.
- Mix another batch of the Fast Set Epoxy and add silver glitter to it.
- Apply your mixture to the entire tumbler and use a torch to gently remove any bubbles. Allow this to cure.
- Finally mix a batch of Artist Resin following the instructions on the container and apply it evenly to the whole tumbler. Allow the resin to cure for 24 hours and you’re done!
The Wrap Up!
This tumbler is the perfect Halloween project! It’s black, it’s spooky, it’s glittery and, best of all, it glows in the dark! There are lots of fun variations that you could try with this design too. We love the way Chrissy’s design turned out but you could also try different color combos or different wording on your tumbler. Play around with it and let us know what you come up with! We love to see the awesome things you create with our resin, tag us on Instagram with #counterculturediy so we can check it out!
If you want more inspiration and information we have a Facebook group for that. Join us in Counter Culture DIY Artist Support where we, and other artists, offer ideas, answer questions, and support each other!
Do you have an art project using any of our products that you want to share? Send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we can feature them here!