Father’s Day is right around the corner and we wanted to bring you an awesome tumbler idea. This Father’s Day Tumbler with a Wrench Handle is so creative and makes the perfect gift for any handy dad!
When we saw this Father’s Day tumbler design we knew we wanted to share it with you. The design is by Kaelee of Kaelee’s Kups and Custom Gifts and she has been gracious enough to share this unique tumbler idea with us. Not only is it unique and fun, it’s also really easy to do! Rarely do we bring you a tumbler tutorial with such a short supply list and with so few steps. Dad’s may not always be easy to shop for but at least they’re typically low maintenance. This tumbler is too and is fairly simple to make. And we promise, they won’t find a speck of glitter on it!
Father’s Day Tumbler with Wrench Handle
We don’t know about you but many of us have dads who are super tough to shop for. No matter the holiday or season, we are always wracking our brains to come up with something meaningful or useful to give them. How do so many dads seem to already have everything? We know that all dads aren’t into tools and fixing things but those who are probably don’t have a tumbler like this in the cupboard. And, one thing that all dads have in common is that they all need to drink! Whether they use it in their workshop or take it on the go, the wrench handle is sure to be a hit.
If you have a father who is good with tools this wrench handle tumbler could be the perfect Father’s Day gift for this year. (Or birthday, holiday, or just because gift!) And it starts with the same stainless steel tumbler you always use! Kaelee uses a 20oz skinny but you could do this with any size of cup you like. It may just be a little trickier with cups that aren’t straight.
Choose your decal…
If you have a handy dad, chances are that he really is “the fixer of all the things”. For that reason we love the decal that Kaelee chose to use! It’s clever and suits the design perfectly. You can use the same saying that she did or create or purchase your own. Maybe there is a phrase that would suit your dad a little better. Maybe “fixer of some of the things” would be more apt! If you sell your tumblers you could also offer this design with different decals and let your customers choose. Another way to personalize this design would be to add Dad’s name on the opposite side of the cup.
Father's Day Tumbler with Wrench Handle
- First prep your tumbler by sanding it, wiping it down, and using White Prime Time to add a base coat.
- Once the Prime Time has dried, apply your Slate Alcohol Ink by streaking it down the tumbler and brushing it with the sponge brush. This will give you a light gray wood grain.
- Immediately after doing your inks, mix up a batch of Fast Set according to the package instructions and add a layer to your tumbler. Do not seal your ink with any sealer.
- While your cup is drying, cut your black vinyl decal of choice.
- Once cup is dried and ready for its next step, apply your decal.
- Now for the wrench handle. Mix just a small amount of the JB Weld epoxy together. Wait for it to thicken up (like you would wait for epoxy to thicken for a drip cup). Approximately 3 minutes. Once it is thick, apply just enough for the bolts to be attached to each end of the wrench. Let it dry for about 30 minutes.
- Next, mix up another small amount of JB Weld and let it sit until thick again. Gently place epoxy on the ends of the bolts so you can attach the handle to either the left or right of the decal (depending on hand dominance or preference). Let this dry for at least an hour.
- Gently add another layer of combined Fast Set. You can tape off the wrench and bolts before you add the epoxy or just used a gloved finger to carefully apply the resin around these parts. Once you've added epoxy around the bolts and wrench, put the cup on your turner and finish applying the rest of your epoxy coat.
- Once your Fast Set has cured, mix a batch of Artist Resin and apply that to your cup as the final layer. Allow it to cure completely before shipping or gifting.
The Wrap Up…
This Father’s Day tumbler is so awesome! We thank Kaelee for taking the time to share her process with us. You can see more of Kaelee’s creations when you follow her on Facebook and Instagram! You can also find her hanging out with us on the Counter Culture DIY Artist Support Facebook page. Whether the dads in your life have favorite beverages that are hot or cold, this tumbler will be able to handle it. And, it’s sure to get compliments wherever it goes!
Be sure to follow us on Pinterest so you can stay on top of everything that’s new and never miss a blog post!
If you want more inspiration and information we have a Facebook group for that. Join us in Counter Culture DIY Artist Support where we, and other artists, offer ideas, answer questions, and support each other!
Do you have an art project using any of our products that you want to share? Send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we can feature them here!