Fall is coming on quickly and with it comes Halloween. We are showing you how to make a Halloween Peekaboo Tumbler that is perfect for the spooky season! Whether you gift it, sell it, or keep it this fabulous tumbler is sure to please.
Halloween is such a great holiday to create for. The themes, colors, and characters are so much fun to work with. This “Bad Witch Vibes” tumbler is a great example of that. Chrissy from Sugar and Spice Glitter Co. is one of our brand ambassadors and she is showing you how to make her Halloween Peekaboo tumbler.
In the video below you will get the step-by-step instructions you need to make one of these beauties for yourself. Chrissy @sugarandspice.glitterco is a talented resin artist who has many other amazing resin tutorials you can check out on her YouTube channel.
How to Make a Halloween Peekaboo Tumbler
There are so many fabulous Halloween projects that you can create with resin. We’ve seen bat jewelry, skull lights, pumpkin decor and more. What is really hot in resin crafts right now, however, is tumblers. Tumblers allow you tons of room for creativity. There are so many designs and techniques to choose from. Chrissy uses Counter Culture DIY Fast Set Epoxy and Artist Resin to create this fabulous peekaboo glitter design.
In the video bellow, you’ll see how adding a couple of layers of spray paint over your glitter allows you to create the peekaboo look. Chrissy uses a layer of black spray paint then follows it with a layer of white. Then she goes back in with acetone and alcohol to clean up the edges and finish the peekaboo effect.
Chrissy blends her edges and lets some of the black remain to lend a burnt paper feel to the tumbler. This effect looks amazing and gives off some spooky vibes. If you prefer clean edges on your projects though, you can always use painters tape to give yourself clean lines. That’s the awesome part about art, we can all learn the same technique but when we create, it becomes entirely our own!
The lettering on this tumbler was designed in Cricut Design Space and it really helps make the tumbler. If you don’t have access to a Critcut cutting machine, however, you can still have fun with this technique! The glitter colors you choose can still say Halloween and you could always add some more areas where the glitter comes through instead of using the letters.
Halloween Peekaboo Tumbler Supply List
- Tumbler of your choice (a mug was used in this tutorial)
- Purple spray paint (rich gloss 2x paint and primer)
- Black spray paint (flat/matte)
- White spray paint (flat/matte)
- Counter Culture DIY Fast Set Epoxy
- Artist Resin
- Measuring and mixing cups
- Stir sticks
- Glitter in your choice of Halloween colors
- Wax paper
- Clean rags
Lettering Supply List (optional)
- Cricut cutting machine and Cricut Design Space (or similar cutting machine)
- Vinyl transfer paper
- Weeding tool
- Contact sheet
- Small squeegee
Step By Step Instructions
- First, make sure your tumbler is clean and dry then coat it with the purple spray paint. Allow the paint to dry before moving on.
- Mix Artist Resin in a 1:1 ratio following the instructions on the container. Mix well for 3 minutes while scraping the sides of your mixing container and stir stick. Apply a layer of the resin to the entire tumbler.
- Next, Sprinkle the whole tumbler (minus the bottom) with glitter. If you have a tumbler turner, having your cup on it will make it much easier to get an even glitter coating.
- Take the wax paper and, shiny side down, use it to gently press the glitter into place. Clean off rim and any large pieces of glitter that are poking out. Allow this layer to dry for a bit before moving on.
- Next, mix the Counter Culture DIY Fast Set Epoxy in a 1:1 ratio following the instructions on the container. Mix well for 3 minutes while scraping the sides of your mixing container and stir stick. Apply a layer of the resin to the entire tumbler. Allow this layer to set.
- Now, shake the black spray paint well and apply to one half of the tumbler in short burst. Wait for it to dry.
- Repeat with the white paint right over top of the black.
- Next, use acetone and a clean rag to clean off any paint that over-sprayed to the back and sides. Also remove paint from the rim of the cup.
- Continue to use the acetone to clean up and blend the edges. Use a second rag with alcohol to remove the acetone residue. Repeat this process, going back and forth between the acetone and alcohol, until you’ve framed the top, bottom, and sides of the painted area.
- Next, take the acetone rag and place it over your pointer finger. Start at the bottom edge of the painted area and push up to distress the edge. Work your way around the whole painted area adding as much or as little distressing as you like.
- Now, choose a few spots on the inside of the painted area to distress as well. (This step is optional)
- Go back over the entire tumbler with alcohol to make sure that all acetone residue is removed. If any is left behind it can streaking and fogginess once the resin is applied.
- Use your cutting machine to print the lettering if using. (See video for instructions on how to do this as well as tips on how to apply the lettering!) Let the tumbler rest for an hour to allow the vinyl to adhere.
- Next, apply a layer of Counter Culture DIY Fast Set Epoxy to the entire tumbler and allow it to set.
- If necessary, lightly sand to remove any pointy or rough spots of glitter that are sticking up. Wash with soap and water to remove and sanding residue then lightly spritz with alcohol.
- Finally, apply a final layer of Artist Resin and allow the tumbler to cure for 24 hours. In one day you’ll have yourself an amazing Halloween tumbler!
Learning how to make a Halloween peekaboo tumbler is a lot of fun. It also adds a new skill you your artist tool set! If you sell your tumblers, like many resin artists do, this technique will allow you to add some awesome new products to your line up. We won’t blame you though if you want to keep this one for yourself! So, grab yourself some of your favorite witch’s brew and have fun creating!
If you want more inspiration and information we have a Facebook group for that. Join us in Counter Culture DIY Artist Support where we, and other artists, offer ideas, answer questions, and support each other!
Do you have an art project using any of our products that you want to share? Send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we can feature them here!