What is better than chocolate dipped strawberries? Well, nothing really. But this adorable Valentine’s Day chocolate dipped strawberry tumbler sure gets close! Kalie of Crafty Gator Shoppe is teaching us how she made this beauty. It’s a sweet and fun project that is perfect for your Valentine’s Day line up!
It’s no secret that waterslides and vinyl have broadened our design options as tumbler artists. Especially for those of us who aren’t great at free-handing repeating images like these chocolate dipped strawberries. Whether you order your vinyl or print it yourself they are simple to use and give tumblers fabulous coverage.
For her chocolate covered strawberry tumbler, Kalie wraps her tumbler in vinyl. Then she uses some of our favorite products to seal and epoxy her tumbler. Kalie says that our Quick Coat is the real MVP of this project. It seals the vinyl in so well that the Fast Set and Artist Resin have no chance to repel! The perfect combination for fabulous tumblers every time.
Chocolate Dipped Strawberry Tumbler
Valentine’s Day tumblers come in all shapes and designs. But chances are they are coming to you with pinks or reds. That’s just the nature of the holiday. But that doesn’t mean that you can’t add excitement to your designs with different embellishments!
We have seen some really fabulous Valentine’s Day tumblers this year. And we are so excited that Kalie was willing to share hers with us! Kalie’s design combines some classic Valentine’s Day elements with a fun twist.
Coming in with a favorite sweet treat let her use pink AND red which can be a tricky color combo to pull off. Then she pulls it all together with the fabulous chocolate drips.
Let’s Talk Drips!
Some of our favorite holiday tumblers these days are sporting drips! The drips add texture, detail, and variety to your tumbler designs. You can scroll through our past blog posts and find tumbler tutorials with drips for alllll the holidays! Bubbly cauldrons for Halloween. hot chocolate drip tumblers for Christmas. And now chocolate dipped strawberries for Valentine’s Day!
One of our favorite things about drip tumblers is that they provide the perfect decorating surface. You can always add sprinkles and toppings to your drips. Those cuties are a great way to add to your tumbler theme while also giving added dimension.
You can also make your drips more 3D by adding crafting pearls or other bits and bobs between your drip layers. Another really fun addition to drips (especially for Halloween) are thermo and glow in the dark powders. We have seen some pretty amazing creations from the artists in our community!
Chocolate Dipped Strawberry Tumbler
- Start by sanding and prepping your tumbler. Then apply a coat of White Prime Time to the entire outside of the tumbler.
- Once the Prime Time is dry apply your vinyl wrap.
- Next add a thin layer of Quick Coat to the whole tumbler and allow it to dry completely.
- Then mix a batch of the Fast Set according to the package instructions and apply a layer to the tumbler.
- Next add two more layers of Fast Set allowing it to cure in between. Do a light sanding after the third layer of Fast Set has cured.
- Now add a layer of Artist Resin and allow it to cure before moving on to the next step.
- When you are ready to apply your drips, mix a small batch of Artist Resin. Add a little bit of the Cocoa Craze mica powder and stir to combine. Add a tiny bit at a time until you get the color you want.
- Now it's time to add the Nice N' Thick to get that drip consistency. Add a tiny bit at a time until you get a good consistency. Kalie suggest letting this mixture sit for about 20 minutes and then add more Nice N' Thick until you get the right drip consistency. You want it thin enough to move but not so thin that it drips right off the tumbler.
- Now apply your drip mixture to the rim of the tumbler a little at a time. Set the tumbler down or spin it in your hand to let gravity create your drips. Once the drips are where you want them, put it on your turner until they are fully cured.
The Finishing Touches
With only a few steps and a handful of our favorite resin supplies, you can make your own sweet chocolate covered strawberry tumbler. And if you love this design as much as we do, you can find Kalie on the socials. She is on Facebook and Instagram sharing her fabulous creations.
Let us know if you try this design or show us your other tumbler creations. Just tag us on social media with #counterculturediy so we can check them out. Until then, have fun creating!
You can find more awesome video tutorials like this one on our YouTube channel!
Be sure to follow us on Pinterest so you can stay on top of everything that’s new and never miss a blog post!
If you want more inspiration and information we have a Facebook group for that. Join us in Counter Culture DIY Artist Support where we, and other artists, offer ideas, answer questions, and support each other!
Do you have an art project using any of our products that you want to share? Send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we can feature them here!